Saturday, November 21, 2015

Video of the week: Kind of ...

Okay, so it's just animated images, and you'll have to go to this other website... http://www.wps.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/yoga_for_posture.htm

But just think of the physio $$ I could have saved if I had started these exercises at a young age!  Specifically, I was assigned 4a and 5a by the therapist who began my treatment a few years ago.  She also reminded me of the curve we should have in our lower backs as you see develop in 1b (chin push) - it's too easy to loose that when we are seated with our cellos.

The page says it's for violinists and violists, but most of it applies to cellists as well!  And if you're in a state where you can't achieve the posture seen here, as I was a few years ago, I highly recommend getting some manual physiotherapy!  I couldn't do those exercises as they are demonstrated here until well into my therapy.  My back is happily now healthier than it was 10 ...or maybe even 20 or 30 years ago!

Students, please demonstrate the chin push exercise at your next lesson, getting your ears over your shoulders, and a nice curve in the small of your back!

If you need a motivational cello video, see my November 10 post on our studio facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/cellomusiclessons/  
It hasn't made its way to You Tube yet, so if you don't have facebook... hopefully someday this incredible string-breaking performance will be posted a bit more publicly.

No comments:

Post a Comment